Consultance’s “Unintrusive” Approach Helps Business Law Firm Manage Rapid Growth
When one thinks of accounting and bookkeeping services, the word “unintrusive” usually doesn’t spring to mind. But that’s exactly the term Seth Berenzweig, managing partner of Tysons Corner, Virginia-based business law firm Berenzweig Leonard, LLP, uses to describe the user-friendly approach taken by its outsourced accounting and bookkeeping firm, Consultance Accounting. “For any accounting resource, it’s a given that the numbers have to be accurate and on-time – anything else is a non-starter,” says Berenzweig.
“As a rapidly growing law firm, what Berenzweig Leonard really needs is a bookkeeping and accounting process that is user-friendly – easy and not time-consuming. The less intrusive to our business, the more we can focus on our clients.”
One of the benefits of being a thought leader in business law is that Berenzweig Leonard’s lawyers are sought after for their opinions on business news topics, ranging from mergers to management challenges to ethical issues. That means, in addition to serving clients, the team has to be available to speak to the media on a regular basis.
“As a growing firm, we don’t have dedicated administrative staff, so there’s a direct trade-off of one of our attorneys spending five hours a week on things like coding invoices or running to the bank,” says Berenzweig
“What we like about working with Consultance is that they have thought about things from their client’s point of view and offer a platform that automates tasks that would usually take hours. Their paperless system makes it easy for anyone – even a lawyer – to submit expenses and integrates with our online banking.”
“Basically, Consultance team not only gets the numbers right and on time – they’ve implemented a process that works from our point of view, which saves us time and money. Their unintrusiveness sets them apart,” says Berenzweig.
- Tracking attorneys’ time and billing.
- Accounts payable/disbursements process is time-consuming.
- Management of Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts (IOLTA)/Escrow account.
The Consultance Solution
- Selected and implemented web-based time and billing platform.
- Integrated QuickBooks and online banking platform.
- Developed monitoring and reconciliation process.
- Implemented paperless workflow processes.
- Efficient system for client to create invoices for work performed.
- Printing paper checks has been eliminated, significantly reducing the client’s time and effort.
- Interest on Lawyer Trust Account (IOLTA) is properly maintained and reconciled.
The Bottom Line
“Consultance not only gets the numbers right and on time – they’ve implemented a process that works from their client’s point of view, which saves us time and money.
Seth Berenzweig, Managing Partner
Berenzweig Leonard, LLP